How to Use an Acupressure Mat
Regular usage of the AcuMat (Spike Mat) may provide many positive effects towards your well-being.
- Place the AcuMat on a bed or a soft surface (for stronger effect, use a hard surface: floor, etc.)
- Put a cloth between yourself and the AcuMat. You can adjust the thickness of the cloth according to your own pain levels. When you get used to the feeling, you can start using the AcuMat without a protective layer on it
- Put a rolled up towel or a pillow underneath the AcuMat to support your neck
- Distribute your weight evenly from lower back to shoulders - lie down slowly and carefully. If
desired, support part of your weight on your hands and elbows temporarily. Relax and do not move around. Sit back up and lie down again, if you wish to alter your
- Lie in a comfortable position, so that your skin rests in contact with the points
- 10-15 minutes at the beginning of using the AcuMat
- 20-40 minutes after 1-2 weeks of using the AcuMat
- It is not dangerous to spend more time, or to fall asleep on the AcuMat
- Relax and breathe deeply. You may feel some temporary discomfort, which will decrease and eventually go away when endorphins and oxytocin are released. The feeling of discomfort will shift to a warm sensation with light pressure.
- Drink water after using the Spike Mat.
The AcuMat can be used on back, neck, stomach, feet, thighs, and jaws - use a cloth on the mat, as facial skin is a lot more sensitive.
The history of the Spike Mat (also known as an AcuMat or an Acupressure Mat) started thousands of years ago with its roots in Eastern medicine and Indian mysticism. The “bed of nails” has been used for relaxation exercises, meditation and yoga, as well as for healing the body and releasing emotional, physical and mental blockages.
When we are in pain, as well as in psychological, physical or inflammatory stress, our bodies increase production of the body’s stress hormones (adrenalin, cortisol and noradrenalin). Higher level of stress hormones impairs the immune response, raises blood pressure and blood sugar level, negatively influences metabolism, and results in muscle tension, aching muscles and joints. In addition, we become more sensitive to pain, and our sexual desire declines or disappears altogether.
The Spike Mat can be a solution to the vicious circle of stress hormone production. Pressure from the spikes on the mat activates the body's own production of "natural painkiller" hormone (endorphins) and "feel-good” hormone (oxytocin). Endorphins relieve the pain and give a sense of physical well-being, while oxytocin helps relax and wind down. When levels of oxytocin rise, the levels of stress hormones in the body fall. Damaged or worn tissues are repaired and new cells grow where they are needed. Our pain threshold is raised, blood pressure falls, worries and anxieties decrease, sexual desire increases and we optimize our body’s performance and durability instead of manipulating it.
To keep the body in good health is a duty, for otherwise we shall not be able to trim the lamp of wisdom, and keep our mind strong and clear. – Buddha
Storage: Fold / roll up the Spike Mat with spikes inside and keep it in a bag in a dry and safe place. Keep the Spike Mat out of reach of children.
Cleaning: Remove the foam rubber pad. Mix a little detergent or soap in warm water and wash the Spike Mat by hand. Be aware of the spikes to protect your hands. Rinse thoroughly several times. Let the mat hang dry. Do not use washing machine or tumble dryer.
Travel: To save the space while travelling, remove the foam rubber pad from the Spike Mat. Bring the “thin” mat on your travel and use it on your bed mattress. Fold the Spike Mat with spikes inside, before placing it in your suitcase. Preferably, keep the Spike Mat in a bag.